An electric scooter that folds became a popular gift item in the early 2000s.
Today, it’s become even more popular with the rise of traffic and population growth in major cities.
Of course, it’s also just an extremely fun to use for any local commute.
However, what makes a great scooter? We believe it’s a combination of power, durability, and battery life.
Here’s our guide to purchasing the best scooter for yourself or someone else.
Electric Folding Scooters Comparison Chart
Maximum Rider Weight
LG Lithium Ion 36 V, 7.8 Ah
Lithium ion, 1.5A
2 hours 75%, 3.5 hours 100%
≤ 3 hours
≤ 3.5 hours
Weight (with battery)
27. 5 lbs
Who Uses Electric Folding Scooters?
In recent years, there’s been a rise in pollution in major cities. Everything is more compact, and it just feels like there is more traffic. What if you could escape from all of that?
We’re not saying that an electric foldable scooter can remove all inconveniences or work for very long commutes, but you live down the road from school or work, an electric scooter is the perfect way to commute.
For one, it’s sustainable mobility. You can reduce your impact on the environment just by using something like a scooter instead of a car to go to work each morning.
Scooters don’t produce any emissions. They are not harmful to the environment because they don’t require any gas or oil. Scooters run on a lithium-ion battery that can be charged from 0 to 100% with about 1k/Wh.
In addition, it’s not a petrol-powered vehicle, meaning that it doesn’t have the same noise pollution either. You won’t hear any engine from the scooter. What if you had a quiet ride to work without traffic and constant exhaust noise? That’s what it’s like to ride on a scooter.
Overall, scooters are for everyone, but typically you won’t find anyone under the age of 10 using a scooter. An electric folding scooter is mainly used by young and older adults, due to the weight restrictions and higher mileage.
Reasons to Buy a Scooter
You may be thinking that a scooter is just a scooter, and how could it possibly improve your commute? The first thing to remember is that an electric folding scooter isn’t the same as your average scooter.
Well, scooters don’t require gas, and they’re incredibly easy to use.
If you don’t like traffic, then there’s an even bigger reason to use a scooter. You won’t get stuck in traffic ever again.
Electric foldable scooters are extremely portable. They can collapse and be carried with you anywhere they you have to go.
You’ll save a ton of money. The average cost of a scooter is nowhere near the cost of a car, car insurance, gas refueling, or car repairs.
Sometimes it’s just nice to get away from everything and experience the outdoors. What’s better than fresh air?
You don’t have to worry about parking either. If you’re headed to a busy school campus, you can use your scooter to get to class on time without having to pay for a parking pass or scram to get into a parking space.
The most important reason is that you want to use a scooter. It allows you to get to your destination faster, and you can carry it with you wherever you go.
How We Tested Selected Electric Scooters
Our reviewers spent multiple hours testing some of the most popular electric foldable scooters on the market currently. These scooters have the best ratings and the most features.
Here are a few of the scooters on our list:
- GOTRAX GXL: Travels up to 12 miles at 15.5 mph
- Xiaomi Mi M365: Travels 18,6 miles with max 15,5 mph
- Glion Dolly 215: Travels up to 15 miles at 15 mph
- Swagtron Swagger Pro SG-3: Travels up to 14.2 miles at 15.5 mph
- Swagtron City SG5: Travels up to 12 miles at 18 mph
We spent time with each electric scooter, trying to find out which one had the most ease of use, least noise, most portability, and so forth.
Of the scooters we tested, Swagtron City SG5 had the most functionality and fastest speeds. With 8.5” Run Flat tires, we also felt pretty secure that the scooter would keep on going forever. For the price, there’s a lot of value in this particular speedy scooter.
The Xiaomi Mi M365 is the best scooter for adults, however. It has a pretty high weight capacity and offers al lot of adjustments as well a precision brake. It was easy and comfortable to navigate around corners.
Functions We Liked Best from the Test:
- Lithium ion battery
- High-powered motor and high speed of 15 mph or more
- Easy folding and carrying case
From the tests that we performed, every scooter did well, but some just felt more durable and got us to our destinations faster than others. We also trusted some of the scooters to last longer.
See the review below for details on our favorite scooter that we tested, as well as details, pros, and cons on the other scooters.
How We Selected the Top Electric Folding Scooters
From how fast a scooter goes to whether it can fold up easily, we looked at scooters for a number of different traits to pick the best ones to review. Some of the features that really stand out include the frame, materials, motor, battery, brakes, and so forth.
However, there are some qualities that are more important than others. Here is a brief guide to picking out an electric foldable scooter.
How to Choose an Electric Folding Scooter
You want a scooter that is going to work where you live. If you travel by street or dirt road, you need a specific type of scooter to handle that terrain. There are stainless steel and aluminum scooters out there that both last for a long time.
However, any scooter with plastic parts probably won’t stand the distance. Of the two, aluminum is best because it will resist rust and corrosion.
This is another pretty important feature that you want to look for in a scooter. The lowest on the scale is 12 mph folding scooters. These will get you where you’re going, but they may not have the most power. In fact, most of the small motors can’t go beyond 9 miles.
There are scooters with 15 mph or more, which is a perfect fit if you have over 10 miles to travel and want to get there on time.
A traditional scooter may come with a kickstand, but it doesn’t come with any folding options. Lightweight foldable electric scooters are easy to operate and store because they’re lightweight.
They’re made to move fast and then fold up so you can carry them as you go to work or school. The most important thing to remember is to look at the weight. Most scooters weigh less than 15 pounds.
Some scooters measure this in distance and others measure this in the time that a charge lasts. In general, you want a battery that’s going to move you up to 15 miles and last at least two hours. You’ll have to check specifications to see what your scooter is rated for.
However, if you don’t have that far to travel, you may not need the absolute battery life. There are also ways to charge your scooter while on the go with accessories.
Advantages of Using Electric Folding Scooters
Electric foldable scooters have become extremely popular for people who live in congested areas of the city or around college campuses. If you don’t like to walk or just want to get there faster, you should try an electric scooter.
There are way more advantages for people who are on a budget as well:
- Saves money on your commute
- No car bill, car insurance bill or car repairs
- No need to buy gas or diesel
- Easy to carry with you
- Saves times instead of walking or waiting for the bus
- Sustainable mobility!
The real advantage of an electric scooter is that you don’t have to fork over thousands of dollars just to get down the road. When you need to get around quickly and only need a few miles of travel time, you’re golden on a scooter.
Attributes to Look for in an Electric Scooter
Our perfect profile for an electric scooter is something that we’ve been trying to perfect. We base these attributes on our own experience with scooters, as well as the ratings that we find most common among customers.
Most of the features that are important to us are also important to general customers, but there are also some special product features that make scooters more valuable.
The ideal profile of a scooter we’d purchase would include these attributes:
- Wide deck with comfortable, adjustable handlebars
- Made from high-quality aluminum or stainless steel materials
- Has a weight capacity of 165 lbs or more
- Motor can achieve 15 mph or more
- Battery lasts for two hours or up to 15 miles
- Quiet operation
- Comes with lights, brakes, and lightweight operation
- Easy to fold and carry
- Smartphone or Bluetooth connectivity
- Two-year or more warranty that covers all parts
Customers most often look at the speed and durability of the scooter beforehand. You should check ratings for any scooter and look for any reviews that show a scooter falling apart after only a few times of use.
Is Battery Life a Problem for Electric Scooters?
One of the main concerns for customers is the battery life of the scooter. Most scooters have a rechargeable battery, but the best scooters will have a lithium ion battery. This means that the battery can hold a charge longer and will typically have higher speeds as well.
However, lithium ion battery scooters and higher battery life, in general, will cost you slightly more than the average scooter.
We expect that this technology will get more budget-friendly as more scooters are developed, but currently, the best scooters cost over $300 that come with a lithium ion battery.
What Accessories Go Best with Electric Folding Scooters?
For us, there’s nothing better than spending money on affordable accessories that make it so easy to own and use an electric scooter every day.
Even though some scooters come with their own accessories, here are some of the most important accessories you can find for a scooter currently:
- Battery (hopefully lithium ion type)
- Battery charger cord
- Carrying case (sometimes)
- Front and rear lights
If these are included with your scooter, you’re off to a great start. Most scooters will have a battery already, but if not, you can pick one up online. You only need to make sure that it’s rated for the scooter that you have.
Other Accessories for Your Electric Scooter:
- Cup holder
- Bungee cords
- Side view mirrors
- Luggage rack
- LED front and rear lights
Most of these accessories make it safer for you to use a scooter on the road. However, you may want to add helmet, gloves, and other pads if you want to stay super safe.
5 Best Electric Folding Scooters January, 2020?
Based on the results of our test and our profile of a great electric foldable scooter, we think the best overall is the Glion Dolly 215 Foldable Lightweight Adult Electric Scooter.
1. What We Like About the Glion Dolly 215 Electric Folding Scooter?
While it is one of the heavier scooters, the Glion Dolly 215 is a durable machine, geared exactly for the purpose you think of as an adult on a scooter.
If you want something that’s going to stand the test of time, then the Glion Dolly 215 is the one to go with.
Not only that, there are a ton of accessories included with the Glion Dolly 215, such as front and rear lights, quiet operation, and lithium ion battery.
The scooter lasts for a long time and charges quickly.
Of course, it’s also the fastest scooter. You won’t have to feel like you’re going at a snail’s pace on this scooter. It’s made for adults naad has a speed of 15 MPH with a range of 15 miles per charge.
You can take the charger with you so you don’t ever have to worry about not being to charge the scooter as well.
What Makes Glion Dolly 215 Better Than Other Electric Scooters?
For one, it’s the fastest scooter that we found during the review and testing period. Compared to some of the others, it was also a bit larger and heavy-duty. The sleek black frame made it look more sophisticated than the other bikes on the list as well.
One drawback with the Glion Dolly 215 is the price. You are paying a bit more for the power and convenience of this amazing scooter. Typically, it’s about $300 more than your average adult electric scooter.
- Premium 36V, 7.8ah Lithium Ion Battery composed of 30 LG NMC 18650 cells (3.5 hrs charge time)
- Quiet 250 Watt Nameplate (600 Watt Peak)
- Brushless, Gearless, Chainless DC Hub Motor
- Military Tech Honeycomb Never Flat Airless Rubber Tires
- Patented Dolly and Vertical Self Standing Feature
- Folded you can walk with it like a roller bag suitcase
- Electronic Antilock Maintenance Free Brake Located in the Rear Hub Motor
- Speed 15 MPH; Range 15 Miles per charge
- Charger and Pedestrian Bell now included. Canvas scooter cover sold separately
- Includes charger, pedestrian bell, roller bag, and lights
- Fastest scooter available, goes up to 15 MPH
- Travels farther than any other scooter, up to 15 miles
- Lithium ion battery guarantees longer battery life
- Patented foldable design and carrying case included
- Lights and other important accessories included
- Quite expensive to purchase if you’re on a $300 or less budget
- Needs 3.5 hours to charge fully
GLION Dolly Adult Foldable Electric Scooter:
2. Xiaomi Mi M365 Electric Folding Scooter Review
The Xiaomi Mi M365 is one of the top electric scooters, and it has a popular appeal with scooter lovers.
With a long-range battery and easy fold design, it’s also one of the most convenient types of scooters to purchase.
One of the best parts is that the Xiaomi Mi M365 already comes almost assembled to completion.
You only have to attach the handlebar with four screws. In addition, the brakes are extremely powerful on this scooter.
While the Glion Dolly is the fastest, in our test, Xiaomi Mi M365 is able to hit up to 15.5 mph.
However, we didn’t feel that it was as sturdy as the Glion Dolly 215. It often had some issues with shaky and wobbly handlebars in rough patches of the road.
The wheels are pretty important. With 8.5-inch wheels, you can go to the top speeds, but it gets a little bit shaky and slow when you go into Eco mode, which changes your speed down to 11 MPH. This is a good option if you’re trying to save on battery.
Most of all, we were disappointed on the amount of accessories not included with the standard Xiami Mi M365 purchase, as the price is almost the same as the Glion Dolly 215. However, you will get ultra bright headlights and tail lights.
- A 250W motor propels the e-scooter to a max speed of 15.5 MPH
- High capacity battery with a maximum travel range of up to 18.6 miles under specific conditions
- Weighs just 26.9 lbs
- Portable folding design for easy storage at home or hand carry when necessar
- The sturdy frame is made of aerospace-grade aluminum
- Features a disc braking and eABS regenerative anti-lock braking system for an efficient, responsive braking distance of just 13.1ft. The large 8.5-inch front
- Intuitive controls simplify learning and use for all ages while improving safet
- The scooter frame, components and accessories use the same geometric design language
- Fast speed scooter, goes up to 15.5 MPH
- Travels up to 18 miles per charge according to Xiaomi
- 8.5-inch shock absorbing tires
- 250W brushless DC motor
- Comes with front and rear tail lights
- Handlebars wobble a bit on unstable terrain and rough roads
- Doesn’t come with a lot of accessories for base price of near $500
The Swagtron Swagger Pro SG-3 made our list because of its speed, cruise control features, and pretty decent travel range.
We like this scooter best because of its design.
It’s made to be extremely durable and stable, riding along with a 250-watt motor that can go up to 15.5 mph.
With a portable design, it’s also much more lightweight than other scooters in the foldable category.
Even for the lightweight design, it can also carry passengers up to 220 lbs, making it one of the only portable, foldable scooters to accommodate a larger size.
You can fold the Swagtron Swagger Pro SG-3 in just two simply steps and stow away.
However, you’ll have to get your own carrying case for this scooter. There are multiple driving modes available with the scooter, too. You’ll get button-activated cruise control.
- Long-range electric scooter that can cover up to 14.2 miles per charge
- Powerful 250-watt motor can reach speeds up to 15.5 mph and conquer steep 25-degree inclines
- Built to carry riders up to 220 lbs. , this lightweight electric scooter can be effortlessly carried when you’re on the go
- Button-Activated Cruise Control
- Efficient Quick-Charge Battery
- With a 1.5A charger, this fast-charging electric scooter can be ready to roll in just under 3 hours
- The battery scooter’s smart management system guards against overcharging, with overheating auto-shutoff
- All new Swag Tron e scooters come with a 1-Year Limited
- Much more budget-friendly than any other scooter
- Max speeds of 15.5 MPH
- Includes cruise control mode
- “Quick-Charge Battery” charges in 3 hours
- Doesn’t travel as far as other scooters on this list (up to 14.2 miles)
- Doesn’t come with a case
GO FARTHER – Swagtron Swagger Pro SG3 Folding Electric Sport Scooter:
4. Swagtron City SG5 Review
Swagtron City SG5 is the new scooter on the block.
However, we also had extreme wobble at top speeds. Still, it has been named the Official Ride of the Chicago Cubs.
This scooter is extremely portable and foldable.
While it weighs a tad heavy at 27.5 lbs, it collapses in just a second.
You can place it in your trunk or carry it with you, but it doesn’t come with a carrying case.
While the price is great for this scooter, it’s actually much better considering the speed and travel maximum. You’ll be able to get 18 mph on 8.5-inch run flat tires, and it can travel up to 12 miles.
The Glion Dolly travels a farther distance, but sometimes Swagtron City SG5 does go faster. One of the things that customers like best about this scooter is that the aluminum frame can support heavier riders of 320 pounds or more.
In addition, reviews note that the warranty and customer service team are out-of-this-world supportive. You don’t have to worry about getting stuck with a dud.
- The 27.5 lbs. e-scooter collapses for easy storage
- The 250W electric hub motor allows for speeds up to 18 miles per hour (29 kilometers per hour) and rolling over INCLINES as steep as 20 degrees
- Recharge the power scooter’s Li-ion battery in 3.5 hours for 6~12 miles of travel
- A rugged aluminum frame capable of supporting riders up to 320 pounds (145 kilograms)
- Budget-friendly, costs under $300
- Faster than average scooter, goes up to 18 mph
- Includes 8.5-inch run flat tires
- Includes phone mount, cruise control, and app control
- Doesn’t include carrying case
- It’s a bit heavier than other scooters
CRUSH THE PAVEMENT – Swagtron City SG5 Commuter Electric Scooter:
5. GOTRAX GXL Review
One of the most rated and purchased electric foldable scooters is the GOTRAX GXL commuting electric scooter.
This is one of the faster scooters with 15.5 MPH maximum speed and up to a 12 mile range.
The GOTRAX GXL is a popular scooter mostly because of its price point and speed.
However, the battery patter has been questioned as it has a very low range for being a 15.5 MPH scooter.
The scooter comes with a 250-watt motor and a 36V battery. In addition, we found that the battery takes longer to charge than others on this list.
For the price point, you will have to make sure that you plug in your scooter every day when done with your ride as it takes 4 hours for a full charge.
The portable design is really simple on this scooter, however. You can simply push down and lift up to carry it with you, and as it’s pretty lightweight, you won’t need a carrying case as long as it’s a short distance.
- Handbrake, Cruise Control, Reinforced Frame and Lock Mechanism
- 8.5″ Pneumatic Tires
- 250 Watt Motor
- The GXL has a top speed of 15.5MPH and holds a maximum of 220 lbs
- The GXL travels up to 9-12 miles and recharges in about 4 Hours
- The GXL Frame folds down and locks for easy storage making it a perfect commuting scooter
- Making the GXL the ultimate commuting scooter for overcoming treacherous city streets
- High speed scooter with 8.5-inch tires
- Goes up to 15.5 MPH
- UL2271 Certified battery
- Low battery life, can only go 12 miles on a single charge
- Takes awhile to charge
- Expensive for the features
With so many scooters on the market, it can be difficult to pick just one without trying it out in store. If you’re going to go with one that will make your commute easy and stress-free, we would go with the Glion Dolly 215.
It’s simply the most sleek of the bunch and has great engineering, providing a stable, sturdy ride that goes pretty fast on any road.