For many Macbook Pro users, a trackpad is great, but not sufficient for controlling the computer with an ample amount of nuance.
Because of this, it’s more advantageous for users to invest in a Macbook Pro mouse, a device that allows you to control the cursor on your computer efficiently and with flexibility.
However, the current market for Macbook Pro mouse devices can be quite vast, offering a wide variety of different features and compatibility aspects that make it difficult to know just where to start.
In this article, we’re going to be taking a look at some of the 6 most notable products on the market to show you the different types of Macbook Pro mouse devices that are available.
On top of that, we’ll also be giving you a Buyer’s Guide so you know exactly what to look for when picking out your next mouse!
So, here are 6 Best Macbook Pro Mouse Devices That Are Actually Intuitive and Flexible.
Macbook Pro Mouse Devices Comparison Chart
0.85 x 2.25 x 4.47 inches
5.2 x 2.2 x 0.6 inches
2.5 x 7.6 x 5.9 inches
8.27 x 2.28 x 7.09 inches
8.9 x 8.2 x 3.8 inches
1.7 x 4.9 x 2.8 inches
6ft braided-fiber cable with USB
6.89 ft Cable
Full scroll plane, horizontal and vertical scrolling
Bluetooth-enabled Mac computer with OS X v10.11 or later
Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8
Windows 10 or later, Windows 8, Windows 7
Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10
Windows 10.1, Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7
Windows Vista or Windows XP
2 (left and right click)
18 Programmable + Power (12 side buttons and the breathing light in 5 RGB colors backlit modes)
2 AAA Alkaline Batteries (included)
Rechargeable Li-Po (500 mAh) Battery
2 AA Batteries
Up to 6 months
Up to 70 days
Up to 50 hours
6 Best Macbook Pro Mouse Devices (as of December, 2019):
1. Apple Magic Mouse 2 Macbook Pro Mouse Device – Best Apple Product on the Market Review
As the best Apple mouse for the Macbook Pro available, the Apple Magic Mouse 2 gives you a good range of flexibility with your motion that makes it easy to browse quickly.
It includes a really slick interface that makes it incredibly intuitive to pick up and use immediately!
Not Enough Buttons
While the tools it does provide you with are interesting (i.e. using more than one finger lightly allows you to scroll, etc.), having to rely on touch controls makes it not an efficient choice for gaming.
For this reason, those looking to play games on their computer should avoid this mouse, as there are better mouse devices available that give you more reliable control.
Reliable and Sturdy
Apple products are known for being incredibly durable and this mouse is no exception. The mouse feels just as intuitive as it looks, with a minimalist design making it easy to use from the beginning.
If you want to use it for gaming, it might not have enough nuance for you, but it will do the job for just about every other activity. Highly recommended for those who like the simplicity of having no buttons and still being able to do a lot.
- Multi-Touch Surface
- Built-in Completely Rechargeable Battery
- Bluetooth, Wireless, Lightning Port
- Optimized Foot Design
- Continuous Bottom Shell
- Lightning to USB Cable
- Compatibility: Bluetooth-enabled Mac computer with OS X v10.11 or later
- Very durable
- Intuitive to use
- Minimalist design
- Not many buttons
- Not suitable for gaming
Apple Magic Mouse 2: Unboxing & Review:
2. Microsoft Arc Mouse CZV-00001 Macbook Pro Mouse Device – Best Minimalist Device Review
The buttons are not that intuitive to use, running into the same issue as the Apple Magic Mouse 2.
Microsoft Arc Mouse CZV-00001 is perfectly usable for activities that don’t require a heavy amount of nuance with specific clicks, but it is not very suitable for gaming.
There’s never the possibility of awkwardly grabbing the device and possibly straining muscles because the shape is so accommodating, something that is truly intuitive.
It’s also incredibly lightweight and its ability to snap into a flat position for portability is very useful. It’s also a very affordable mouse!
- Bluetooth Low Energy Compatible
- Wireless frequency: 2.4GHz frequency range
- Wireless Range: 33 feet (10 meters) in open air, up to 15 feet (5 meters) in typical office environment
- Compatibility: Windows 10 / 8.1 / 8;Host must support Bluetooth 4.0 or higher
- Ultra-slim and lightweight Design: Bendable tail
- Snaps flat and slips easily into a pocket or Bag
- Innovative full scroll plane lets you scroll both vertically and horizontally
- 2 AAA alkaline batteries (included)
- Battery Life up to 6 months
- Very portable
- Affordable price
- Accommodating and intuitive shape
- Not enough buttons
- Not suitable for gaming
Introducing the new Surface Arc Mouse:
Surface Arc Mouse Late-2018 Review:
3. Logitech MX Master 2S Wireless Macbook Pro Mouse Device – Best Grip and Editor’s Pick Review
With an extra piece attached to the side, you can easily grab onto this and have a firm grip without stressing out your muscles.
It might be a bit bulky when compared to other mouse devices, but Logitech MX Master 2S Wireless is quite perfect for giving you a truly durable product.
This is by far the best device on this list, giving you great value for your money.
This makes it an especially useful device for those who want to control media in creative ways, especially if they’re involved in art.
The scrolling wheel on this mouse does not work as smoothly as it could, sometimes dropping in and out of recognizing movement. However, this is only a small blemish, as it kicks in again rather quickly.
- Flow control: 3 computers
- Easy switching: 3 devices
- Laser-grade tracking: Ultimate
- Hyperfast scrolling
- Wireless connection: USB/Bluetooth
- Wireless technology: Advanced 2.4 GHz wireless technology
- Rechargeable Li-Po (500 mAh) Battery
- Battery Life up to 70 days
- Compatibility: Windows 10 or later, Windows 8, Windows 7 Mac OS X 10.10 or later
- Intuitive grip
- Sturdy, durable size
- Scrolling wheel doesn’t work sometimes
4. Logitech M525 Wireless Mouse – Best Budget Buy Review
If you’re somebody who is looking for a truly reliable product for a long time, look no further than this Logitech M525 Wireless Mouse.
Not only does it have a battery life of up to 3 years, it also has a wonderful design that allows it to be used by both right handed individuals and left handed ones.
Flexibility and Precision
This mouse is very quick-to-respond, allowing you to make nuanced motions pretty quickly and with a great deal of flexibility. The design is also very compact, making it a very portable item as well.
This is recommended for those who are looking for something they can easily throw in their computer back and take with them wherever they go.
Slightly Limiting Design
It’s compact, sure, but might be too small for some users who either have large hands or who aren’t able to clench their hands to grip smaller items easily.
- Precision scroll/tilt wheel for easier web navigation
- Comfortable ergonomic shape & Soft rubber grips
- Compact desk and travel size
- Logitech Unifying receiver connects multiple compatible wireless devices
- Advanced optical technology for smooth, multi-surface tracking
- Wireless connection: USB
- Wireless technology: 2.4 GHz wireless technology
- Micro-precise Hyperfast scrolling
- 2 AA Batteries
- Battery Life up to 36 months
- Compatibility: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10 Mac OS X 10.5 or later Linux kernel 2.6+ USB port Internet access
- Ergonomic shape for right or left hand use
- Micro-Precision scroll wheel
- USB unifying receiver for computers and laptops
- Long 3 year battery life
- Too small for some users
5. UtechSmart FBA Venus – Best for Gaming Review
Those who are looking for a mouse to use specifically for gaming should definitely look into this mouse – UtechSmart FBA Venus.
Its buttons are incredibly detailed, nuanced, and the number pad on the side of the device also makes it easy to use.
A negative aspect of this mouse is how long the cord is. At 6 feet, it might seem like a great thing to have, but it can be quite inconvenient.
Having 6 feet of cord to untangle when trying to use your mouse can be a bit disorienting.
The buttons are also very easy to grip and press, not requiring significant force.
- Professional Gaming Mouse
- Built-in 16400 DPI, 12000 FPS, 1000 Hz polling rate, 30G acceleration, 100-150in/s cursor speed, and an Avago sensor
- Omron micro switches provide crisp, firm clicks
- 18 programmable mouse buttons, 5 custom profiles each with multi distinct LED RGB light color for quick identification, an 8-piece weight tuning set (2.4g x8), and over 16 million LED RGB color options
- The LED breathing light may be disabled as per your preference
- Durable smooth TEFLON feet pads and contour body for ultimate gaming control
- High-end features reflected in the 19 MMO-optimized buttons including the power button, 12 side buttons and the breathing light in 5 RGB colors backlit modes
- Ergonomic Right-Handed design with frosted painting surface that can keep your grip firm during gameplay
- 6ft braided-fiber cable with gold-plated USB connector ensures greater durability
- Special Setting Switch Button on the back side of the wired gaming mouse let you take command with maximum efficiency
- 18-Month Manufacturer’s Warranty
- Compatibility: Windows 10.1, Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7 Windows Vista or Windows XP
- Incredibly precise and fast
- Number pad included on mouse
- Excellent buttons
- Cord feels too long for most situations
6. Razer Mamba Wireless Programmable – The Best of Both Worlds Review
With 50 hours of battery life and 16,000 DPI, Razer Mamba Wireless Programmable is a very high-quality mouse specifically made for the nuance and precision required by gaming.
Hard to Grip Sides
A disappointing aspect of this product is how the sides don’t allow you to grip quite easily. Though this is an advertised selling point of the product, it is quite slippery in reality and therefore not as efficient as it claims.
Quick and Smart
A refreshing aspect of this mouse is how fast and sensitive it is. By having a 5G advanced optical sensor, there are no delays with the mouse recognizing your motion, whether or not it is wired or wireless.
- High-Precision 16,000 DPI Optical Sensor: Offers on-the-fly sensitivity adjustment through dedicated DPI buttons (reprogrammable) for gaming
- Customizable Chroma RGB Color Profiles: Includes 16.8 million color combinations w/ included preset profiles
- Improved, Ergonomic Design: Rubberized side grips reduce fatigue over long use sessions
- Ridged, Rubberized Scroll Wheel for Maximum Accuracy: Small, tactile bumps increases grip and helps with more controlled scrolling in high-stakes gaming situations
- 7 programmable buttons: Allows for reconfiguration and assignment of complex macro functions through Razer Synapse
- Compatible with Xbox One for basic input
- Multi-Day Battery: Lasts up to 50 hours on a single charge with lighting disabled
- Supports wired and wireless
- 5G advanced optical sensor
- 50 hours of battery life
- 16,000 DPI
- Sides don’t grip well
The Best Wireless Gaming Mouse I’ve EVER used – Razer Mamba Review:
Best Macbook Pro Mouse Devices – Buyer’s Guide
How do mouse devices work?
Mouse devices work in a similar fashion to any other type of wireless device. Because the wireless aspect is based on radio signals, the device itself needs a transmitter and a receiver to work properly.
In this situation, the action is to pass it on through the computer’s driver system which then gives the mouse permission to control the computer.
From there, users can use the mouse device to control the computer itself, moving the cursor along in accordance to what they want to highlight.
Are these devices wireless?
Almost! All of the mouse devices listed in this article are wireless aside from the UtechSmart Venus Gaming Mouse RGB Wired.
This mouse also comes at a significantly cheaper price than the rest of the products, meaning that if having a wireless device isn’t a priority, you might be interested in saving more money in the long run.
Do these devices work with any operating system?
Yes! All of the mouse devices included in this article aren’t limited to any particular operating system, meaning that you can use them with any one that you please.
Which devices are best for gaming?
The best mouse on this list for gaming is the UtechSmart FBA Venus Gaming Mouse RGB Wired.
We say this because it is the only one on the list specifically made for gaming, with incredibly light mouse clicks and even a number pad on the side of the mouse. The scroll wheel is also very easy to use and has a very intuitive feel to it!
If you prefer to use a wireless mouse for gaming, the Razer Mamba Wireless Programmable RGB Gaming Mouse is the best wireless option out there.
Admittedly, it does not have a number pad on the side of it and costs over twice the price of the aforementioned mouse, but it is incredibly high-quality and definitely worth looking into. It also has a battery charge of up to 50 hours!
How long can you use them for?
The amount of time you can use any given mouse depends on the specific product.
For example, while the Razer Mamba Wireless Programmable RGB Gaming Mouse allows you to use it for up to 50 hours straight, the Logitech M525 can last for up to 3 years at a time, a stark difference that is worth taking into consideration if maximizing usage is important to you.
What is the difference between a mouse and a Magic Trackpad?
It takes on the form of a trackpad similar to the one that is included with the Macbook Pro, but instead is nearly twice the size and allows for an increased range of motion.
Those who are interested in having more nuance with their trackpad motions should invest in this product, but it isn’t worth getting if you’re mainly focused on the flexibility of mouse devices (i.e. scrolling with one finger, etc.).
How to use gestures on your Mac Trackpad — Apple Support:
This is because they unlock a new world of nuance and flexibility for your laptop experience, allowing you to easily click, steady, and scroll much quicker than you can with a standard trackpad.
Having a Macbook Pro mouse is especially important for anyone working in music, art, gaming, or any type of creative interest, as all of these fields require the aforementioned precision and nuance.
We hope that this guide has been helpful in giving you the tools necessary to know just which products are worth purchasing.
By providing a wide variety of different top products on the market, we hope that you can find the right mouse for you and begin changing the way you use your Macbook Pro today!
You need a Macbook Pro mouse if:
- You make music on your computer
- You make art on your computer
- You program games or play them
- You want to be able to browse and click quicker
You don’t need a Macbook Pro mouse if:
- You are content with your trackpad
- You don’t see the need for an external device