How to Clean Himalayan Salt Lamp
The Himalayan salt lamp is an environmentally friendly lamp on a wooden stand. The shade is made of natural crystalline rock salt, which is mined deep underground in the Himalayas. The minerals in them have reached the age of 600 million years. There is a low-power light bulb inside.
The natural mineral contains 60-98% sodium chloride, up to 32% potassium, and about 6% of other substances, including iodine, iron, chlorine, calcium, zinc, selenium, bromine, magnesium, carbon, and gypsum. After extraction, the salt lump is processed manually, which allows it to preserve its natural crystal structure and the natural form of the mineral.
The main property of the mineral is the creation of a special aura, which has a positive effect on the human body. It helps strengthen immunity and quickly cope with infections and colds. A Himalayan salt lamp promotes relaxation and helps fight stress, which makes such a lamp a necessary device in a modern apartment and house.
Himalayan salt lamp manufacturers claim that these lamps can purify the air in the house, reduce the manifestations of allergies, improve mood, and promote healthy sleep.
What You Need to Use for Cleaning a Salt Lamp
A salt lamp is a very useful thing in the house, which is capable of qualitatively changing the properties of the air, filling the space with pleasant, soft light, and creating a romantic atmosphere. Everyone knows about the benefits of salt for breathing, and by purchasing a salt lamp, we hope that our health will improve.
So, to properly care for the lamp, you only need:
- Dry cloth
- Vacuum cleaner
Step-By-Step Guide To Clean Your Himalayan Salt Lamp
The period of validity of this item is quite long. The beneficial properties and effects of the salt lamp are carried out for 10 years. But don’t leave it in a damp room or outdoors as salt crystals can accumulate moisture and soften over time. If too much moisture has accumulated, a lamp may crumble. So, how to clean a salt lamp and extend its service life? It is quite easy to do.
1. Unplug the lamp and wait for the salt to cool to room temperature
Don’t worry if condensation forms.
2. Wipe off the dust in time
Dust should be removed from the salt lamp from time to time (for example, every three days). This can be done with a vacuum cleaner, a duster (brush for dusting off), or a dry and smooth cloth so as not to wet the salt crystal and not catch the threads on its roughness.
3. Be careful when wiping off dust
Don’t rub it with a cloth. Just wipe it lightly. Never use chemical cleaners. They can damage your salt lamp. In this case, it will just melt. And they react with salt and release toxic VOCs.
4. Be sure to clean its bottom
This area probably needs a good cleaning the most. If your salt lamp is particularly dirty, you can rinse the cloth well several times.
5. Once you’ve cleaned the lamp, you can plug it back in and light it up right away
The entire salt lamp cleaning process should take just a minute and should be done every couple of weeks for optimal air purification.
6. Don’t put the salt lamp in the dishwasher
And never immerse it in water as it could be damaged. It should be placed somewhere free from excessive moisture. If you don’t use it for a long time, it is best to cover it with a plastic bag.
7. If the lamp has gained moisture, it should be well-wiped and dried for at least a day
Don’t plug it into the power socket immediately. When a damp lamp is turned on, the light bulb may burn out quickly, and “salt sweat” may appear. The salt sweat lamp doesn’t lose its medicinal properties but its appearance may change.
You can try to restore it by rubbing the salt lamp with sandpaper or a file. After that, the lamp has to be quickly wiped off with a damp cloth and then with a dry cloth.
8. Don’t get upset if there are traces of “salt sweat” on the lamp
The lamp with such a white pattern is often no less nice than without it. So, don’t be discouraged but admire the new patterns.
9. You need to know what light bulb to use
And it is forbidden to use light bulbs with a power greater than that indicated in the instruction manual.
Salt lamps will work over ten years if you provide them with proper care. At the same time, they will not lose their useful qualities and external attractiveness.
- 1 What You Need to Use for Cleaning a Salt Lamp
- 2 Step-By-Step Guide To Clean Your Himalayan Salt Lamp
- 2.1 1. Unplug the lamp and wait for the salt to cool to room temperature
- 2.2 2. Wipe off the dust in time
- 2.3 3. Be careful when wiping off dust
- 2.4 4. Be sure to clean its bottom
- 2.5 5. Once you’ve cleaned the lamp, you can plug it back in and light it up right away
- 2.6 6. Don’t put the salt lamp in the dishwasher
- 2.7 7. If the lamp has gained moisture, it should be well-wiped and dried for at least a day
- 2.8 8. Don’t get upset if there are traces of “salt sweat” on the lamp
- 2.9 9. You need to know what light bulb to use